After
much anticipation we finally arrived in Stewart to a lovely campground to which
we got the last site available. We were
happy we got up early to drive here.
Without cell service I hadn’t been able to make any reservations and
with all the caravans in the neighborhood, we were really lucky. After we were settled we headed off for Hyder
(where I was going to see all kinds of bear – we thought) Hyder had been hyped to us as the place to
see bear – haha. We drove the 10 miles
from Stewart to Hyder on 3 different occasions and only saw the tail end of two
bear. Needless to say I was very
disappointed. Getting up at 5:00 a.m .
to get there when the viewing area opened and not seeing a single bear – I
wanted to cry – and so did Bernie. We stood around on all 3 occasions and
enjoyed the gorgeous scenery and watching all of the salmon in the river. It’s a beautiful area and we talked to lots
of interesting people who were as frustrated as we were that the bear didn’t
appear. Bernie told the ranger that he
was going to have to talk to the “bear union” about their lack of
appearances. After we left on our last
try – we encountered beautiful views of the low clouds which made getting up
early again worthwhile.
Spawning area
Low clouds
No comments:
Post a Comment