Yippee, I’m out of the boot and now able to drive!! Bernie is doing a happy dance and so am
I. Everyone that knows me well knows
that I’m a much better driver than navigator.
Fortunately, in Alaska there are so few roads that I didn’t get us
lost. Plus, we purchased a brand new
state of the art GPS that helped me out immensely.
Sadly we said good bye to the wonderful Elks lodge in
Wasilla/Palmer and headed for Cooper Landing on the Kenai Peninsula. This is about half way between Seward and
Homer, pretty much at the top of the peninsula.
The campground is owned by Princess Cruises and is located on their
resort property - lovely grounds and a beautiful lodge. Bernie and I decided that we would splurge on
a wonderful breakfast in their dining room and were not the least
disappointed. Breakfast is hard to make
bad, but this breakfast was outstanding and the view above the Kenai river was
breathtaking. After breakfast it was off
to do our least favorite thing while traveling – laundry. Guess everyone has to do it, but at least it
was a nice laundry room and we were finished before it started to really rain.
The next day we were off to explore more of the Kenai Peninsula. We wanted to check out campground for later
in our trip. Off to the town of Kenai
and Soldotna. These are supposed to be
“big” towns, but we found them lacking.
We visited a wonderful Visitors Center in Kenai where I took the picture
of the beautiful quilt made by ladies of the community.
It was also such fun seeing the Pacific Ocean from the Alaskan
shore. Not sure we will be staying here though
when we head down the spit to Homer.
Think we will just “power through” for a long driving day for us – 280
miles.
Got back to Cooper Landing in time to have a fabulous dinner – salmon mac n’ cheese for me and curried chicken pot pie for Bernie. Amazing dinner and equally amazing view. In the morning we were off to Seward for the day and to make reservations for when the boys arrive. Bernie and I spent a week in Seward several years ago and love this part of Alaska. After checking out the camping facilities, we were off to make arrangements for our time in Seward. The first was to make sure we would be able to get on the trip to see the glaciers and the wildlife, then off to make reservations for the dog sled adventure. Bernie and I had done both of these trips before and decided that they were must sees for the grandsons. Had a wonderful lunch at Apollo – a restaurant we had gone to before and was still just as good. Back up the Seward Highway to Cooper Landing and preparations for our next stop the Alyeska Ski Resort.
Got back to Cooper Landing in time to have a fabulous dinner – salmon mac n’ cheese for me and curried chicken pot pie for Bernie. Amazing dinner and equally amazing view. In the morning we were off to Seward for the day and to make reservations for when the boys arrive. Bernie and I spent a week in Seward several years ago and love this part of Alaska. After checking out the camping facilities, we were off to make arrangements for our time in Seward. The first was to make sure we would be able to get on the trip to see the glaciers and the wildlife, then off to make reservations for the dog sled adventure. Bernie and I had done both of these trips before and decided that they were must sees for the grandsons. Had a wonderful lunch at Apollo – a restaurant we had gone to before and was still just as good. Back up the Seward Highway to Cooper Landing and preparations for our next stop the Alyeska Ski Resort.
View from the restaurant
Bernie couldn't down his beer for a photo
Glacier that I can't remember the name of.




No comments:
Post a Comment